Saturday, November 12, 2005

No more exercises

I think I've learned an important lesson. I see a vocabulary exercise as a first step in helping students to identify patterns in the language. Once they identify the patterns, then they can transfer this knowledge of patterns to help them understand or write other texts. In the exercise I don't care if they get the "correct" answer, I care only that they are able to work out the pattern.

But now I realise that if I set an exercise, then the objective is to finish the exercise and put in the correct answer (even if it's copied from the answers or a colleague). That leads to superficial learning - so I must stop with exercises as a way of helping students to see the patterns in language.

Español | Deutsche | Français | Italiano | Português

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home